Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Toronto Freaking Blue Jays


I had an epiphany last night. It affected me so much I couldn't sleep last night. (I'm up at 7:30, so you know something's up)
The Toronto Blue Jays are going to win the American League East division this season.
I know! It's crazy, it's outrageous. 14 games into t
he season and you're going to crown them?...


I'm not some disillusioned fan. I love the Bills. I love the Leafs. I'm used to disappointment. 
And I have an explanation for this.
I'm a big believer in the intangibles of baseball. Co
aching, chemistry in the clubhouse.
Last night on the fan 590, they had Blue Jays benc
h coach Brian Butterfield on. He was talking about some of the notable addtions (and there weren't many) in the off-season, and how much fun it is working with Cito and the other coaches.
Butterfield mentioned how big having Kevin Millar around is. Great for chemistry, loosens everyone up.
Then the conversation turned to a different kind of offensive approach the Jays have this year. They're bunting more, moving runners over. 
Cito's idea.
This all comes back to Cito. 
Do not underestimate the power of this man. 
Players want to play for this guy, and I believe that matters. That's going to win you a few ballgames right there.
I don't even know where this is going anymore, because I barely got a lick of sleep, and I'm a little bit out of it, but the point I'm trying to make is that while I was listening to this interview, this wave of euphoria came over me...a lightbulb went on, and I said to myself, "The Jays are making the playoffs."
You may laugh at this prediction (premonition?). But just remember, you heard it here first.
And if I'm wrong, no one will remember this little blog post (because I'll delete it).
Go Jays Go

No comments:

Post a Comment