Tuesday, May 26, 2009

ESPN2 Karate

Two Fridays ago, I was in a Buffalo hotel room waiting for my girlfriend Andrea to get back from school. She has class on Friday night and Saturday morning so I occasionally go up with her.
On this particular evening, I was delighted by what I find whilst flipping channels.
If you've ever seen those cheerleading competitions or bodybuilding things on TSN, you'll know what I'm talking about.
What I witnessed was completely ridiculous.
It was an event that featured all age groups.
It was karate.




But not a mano a mano or girl on girl action type of thing.
The athletes(?) were on stage all alone practising their karate moves.
I'll let you get a mental image of that right now...
Got it? okay.
The best part of this was that there were 8-year olds all the way up to people in their 30's. And all doing the same thing, too.
They're kicking the air, punching nothing, and screaming all the while.
Now, while I was a few beers deep at this point, I thought it was funny enough to make a mental note of. It could be a blog post!
It could be the first post in about 3.5 months too!
Now, let's get back to the program here...One of the other things I noticed is how serious the commentators and the "fans", or audience was.
How is the audience not cracking up at this spectacle?
I wish I had my computer when I was watching this so I could have done a rundown of what was happening, but at one point one announcer praised little 11-year old Johnny's scorpion kick.
I'm serious.
The last thought I had on all of this was that if I were participating, I would not want this to be televised.

No comments:

Post a Comment