Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Reality Check

Hello old friends, all 4 of you loyal followers may have noticed my absence from the blogosphere for the last week or so but alas, I am back. I wish I had some great excuse as to why I haven’t titillated your minds for sometime, but I don’t. I recently started my summer job working for the Town of Whitby, as far as summer jobs go it’s pretty ideal, the yard where we meet in the morning is 5 minutes from my house and I work 7:30-4:00 Mon-Fri, so there is no travel and the days aren’t particularly long (although my Grandpa seems to insist on telling me an 8 hour day is only a “half day”, Maybe days were longer in the 50’s and 60’s?) .


The job is great, it requires minimal physical labour and a Tim Horton’s is rarely void of TOW trucks at any point of the day. So let’s look at this again; minimal physical activity, home by 4:05, long breaks, and the fact that there are about 25 summer students in the parks department that one can socialize with throughout the summer...you would think I would be very happy and have nothing to complain about? Well it is half true, the job is amazing, however, I have realized how little I am ready to join the real world.


I recently finished my 4th year of University and was looking forward to working all summer and making some good coin (did I mention the pay is great too?). I had myself convinced working would be great and much better than being in school...I was wrong. You know what’s better than long breaks and good pay? Sleeping in to 1:30 and going to get Johnny Burger with a poutine for lunch, followed by skipping class and a night of beer and double rum n cokes at the bar...then of course sleeping in to 1:30 yet again.



I don’t know how people do this every day for the rest of their lives, many working longer hours with further commutes than me, it seems almost unfeasible. I curse the sound of my alarm at 7:00am every morning, and do everything short of a rain dance in hopes of a downpour that will end my day early, I try and make it to the gym after work but some days I can’t help but sit my ass on the couch, and my bedtime has gone from somewhere around 3 or 4 in the morning to 10:30pm. I know that like it or not my time will come to join the monotonous world of commutes, shirts and ties, laptops, and a nasty case of carpal tunnel syndrome, but until that day I will continue to despise working and complain to anyone who is willing to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment