Thursday, November 19, 2009

All Your Base Are Belong To Becks

Just realized I haven't posted in a while. I'll attribute that to a number of things....


a) Sports are at a low point this time of year. Baseball is done, all there is to say about the NFL is Brett Favre related, and the NHL and NBA are chugging along through their useless regular seasons.


b) I'm fat and lazy


c) Modern Warfare 2...which works in concert very nicely with point B.


For those who are, for lack of a better word, retarded, Modern Warfare 2 is an extremely popular video game, the latest in the Call of Duty series. I came across some stats which show just how massive this game is which has convinced me that video games are no longer nerdy or uncool. Let's just rip through some of these quickly...


Modern Warfare 2's $550 million first week sales surpassed some of largest entertainment launches of all time:

The largest reported five-day opening worldwide box office gross figures, held by Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince ($394 million)

The largest reported five-day opening domestic box office gross figures, held by The Dark Knight ($203.8 million)

The largest reported five-day worldwide video game sales record, previously held by Grand Theft Auto IV (6 million units, $500 million)


Bigger than Batman and Harry Potter? Are there really that many dweebs out there?


I have a theory for this video game phenomenon, and no, it has nothing to do with obesity and kids not going outside anymore.


I was chatting with my brother, who is 35 years old, on the weekend about Modern Warfare 2 and various other video games. He isn't into the gaming as much as he used to be, but he made a very interesting point about Modern Warfare 2 and similar games.


He mentioned how when he was at the highschool/college age, he and his buddies would talk about how great it would be to be able to go online with shooting games like Modern Warfare 2 and play with/against each other, being able to communicate the entire time. This, to me, makes it all quite clear why this shit is so popular now.


Dudes who gamed 15-20 years ago can do the kinda shit now that wasn't possible back then. So they eat it up and reconnect with their childhood.


It's only going to get bigger too. Parents these days are going to be way more into it than those of my generation. My parents are like 60, they were already old when Mario started stomping Goombas.


So, what's the point, you ask? I have no idea. Video games are fun, don't hate on me.


I gotta go get a few kills online, god knows I'm not getting any in real life.


No comments:

Post a Comment