Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I like the Yankees, Patriots, Red Wings and Lakers

Oh hey! Didn't see you there...
It's time for Nabber's latest post. I've been slacking I know. There's just so much more important things to do. I won't touch on it yet, but I've got a major announcement to make. Let's save that for the next post. See what I just did there? That's called a "tease."

As for this column, I'm going to talk about annoying sports fans. Everyone can relate to that. In fact, it seems that's all we do here is rip into others. But it's fun! And done from the safety of my living room while hiding behind my laptop and keyboard.

Anyway, I work in a sports environment and many times get to listen to who's fantasy team is doing what and also which team it is they support. I find it strange that with so many locals working there, not everyone supports their local sports franchise. Call me old-fashioned, but I think that's the way it should be (Okay, I know we've talked about this).

Yet everytime I turn my head I hear, "Oh, my Pats are killing it today", or "How bout them Wings?" Other quips include, "Can't stop Kobe!" and Get ready for another Yankees dynasty!"

It's ridiculous. And of course this isn't just happening in my workplace. It's everywhere. I've got a few theories about why some people like these teams.
1) They're fucking sickening bandwagon jumpers.
2) They actually like these teams for a real good reason (ex. Their Dad followed them when he was a kid, etc.)

The real issue I have with these people is how proud they are of these teams they support, even though it's possible that they a) cannot even watch their favorite teams because the team is not in their market and b) they've never attended one of their favorite teams games. These people are out there, don't kid yourself. I know we now live in an age when you can watch anything and everything, but what did these people do before that? Follow their teams by reading the box scores?

I personally have a sick fascination with comically mediocre teams (Black Jays, Bills, Leafs) I'm almost proud of it because it really tests my loyalty.
But I can always know that I have been with these teams for legit reasons, not just because they were good or won championships.

Wait, you're not from Buffalo! What gives buddy?
True, when I started watching football, the Bills were in their heyday, but the first time I watched them, they were trailing by about 30 points in the Superbowl. I went for the underdog. (Why am I such a loser? If I like losing teams, does that me a loser? Hmm...)

In closing, you all know the people I'm talking about. Maybe you're one of them. If you are, you can't be helped. If you're not one of these people, then you know exactly what I'm saying. So go ahead, like you're Lakers, Red Wings, Yankees/Red Sox, Patriots. But just remember, when those teams hit a dry spell, or cease to be competitve for a time, who will you cheer for then?

No comments:

Post a Comment