Monday, February 1, 2010

Sloppy Seconds and Fist Pumpin' Like Champs!

I wasn’t going to talk about sports but I think it’s almost impossible not to after the big news out of Leaf Land earlier today. I first heard the news about the Phaneuf trade through sportsnet (yes, I admit I was actually watching this poor excuse of a sports channel). It was early Sunday (around 2pm) and I was just waking up, at first I thought I had dreamt it, the dream involved myself, Dion, Elisha, and those sloppy seconds Sean Avery had referred to last year, let’s just say it was a good dream. Once I finally came to I immediately hopped on the internet and read all about the blockbuster deal that sent Phaneuf, a prospect, and that guy who scored that sweet end to end goal for Phoenix a few years back to Toronto in exchange for Hagman, Stajan, White, and Mayars. There is no doubt that this trade will be analyzed to death by the professionals over the next few weeks/months/ years throughout Toronto/GTA/Ontario/Canada.

I think it is interesting and probably a good deal for the Leafs. They often say whoever gets the best player in the trade is usually the winner, in this case it is Phaneuf. Can’t say the Leafs didn’t win anything this year. The other trade, although not as big, may prove to be more beneficial, not for the fact that the Leafs got a once dominate goaltender in J.S. Giguere, but rather the fact that they got rid of Jason Blake and that stupid contract...oh, and that goalie...Vesa what’s his bucket. As a Leaf fan I guess that I am happy about the trades, here’s hoping there is more retooling this trade deadline and throughout the off season.

Now onto the important stuff, reality television! I, like Tbo, am a huge fan of this garbage, it’s a guilty pleasure. My reality T.V. watching days began many moons ago with such gems as Average Joe’s, Joe Millionaire, Temptation Island, Laguna Beach, and perhaps my favourite; The Joe Schmo Show. I am well aware that most of these programs are mind numbing garbage but it’s just so hard to look away. The more ridiculous they are; the better. Jersey Shore was one of the more memorable reality programs in recent years, I mean, what’s not to love? There were blow outs, fist pumps, teachers punching hobbits, hot tub parties and of course, a duck phone...all of this lead to T.V. gold.

One of the greatest T.V. role models was born during the Jersey Shore...of course I am referring to Mike “The Situation” Sorrentino. Parents, take notes, this guy is what your child could grow up to become if you continue to use top notch parenting skills. His daily regimen of gym, tan, laundry, or GTL, as many refer to it, is the definition of hard work and determination and is surely a product of a stern, military style upbringing. His self confidence and exquisite sense of style must have been passed down to him from a gentleman of a father. Not to be overlooked is his ability to look for personality in a girl over looks, which must be the reason why he often brought home girls which were less than good looking, this is clearly something that was passed down to him from his mother. He also has great communication skills and knows when not to hit a girl, even if she throws a deadly spinning left hook. One of these days I hope to be like The Situation, being well into my 50’s and living at a house full of 20 something’s that I still consider my peers. I just hope my parents raised me as well as the Sorrentinos.



Jersey Shore has recently been renewed for another season, here is hoping that it will continue to provide us with all things guido, until then I will be watching as Jake picks his fiancé, If he chooses Vienna Sausage over Tetley Tea I am sure you will be reading about it on your favourite blog....

No comments:

Post a Comment