Friday, March 27, 2009

No One's Tanking. Get Over It


It's been a few days since our last post. Those other two dusters are probably just too lazy to write, or they don't have the mental capacity to think of any more topics. It's probably the former though. Teebs and Goody are pretty sharp.
Anyway, I've been racking my brain thinking of a topic to write about, and I finally settled on one.
And that topic is, the notion that teams not contending for a title or playoff spot should tank it down the stretch. 
Certain Maple Leafs fans come to mind when I think about this.
I'm a huge buds fan, but there's no way I could ever hope that my team loses. That's absurd to me.
Totally Abbbbzzzzzzuuuurrrrddddd.
Some people will say, "Oh, I hope they don't win so they can get a better draft position and draft Tavares."
Well, I have news for those people. Not 0ne player on the Leafs, or any other rebuilding team, is thinking that. They're thinking about themselves and their teammates. 
They're thinking about jobs for next year. On a team that's rebuilding, no one is safe. 
Look around the NHL. Not one team near the bottom of the standings is playing terrible hockey. They're still getting after it.
I still don't understand how you could cheer against your team. I hope my team wins every game. If they lose, so be it. They're not very good anyway.
Another point lost in this is that winning breeds confidence. And that's extremely important 
for a young team like the Leafs. It's something they can take into next season, something to build on. 



Going back to the draft...It's a lottery. No one is guaranteed the #1 pick. There's always busts. There's always gems found in the later rounds. Who's the say the best player to come out of the draft won't be someone picked 94th overall?
I was all over the place on this, but my main point is that teams aren't going to tank. The Leafs are the perfect example here. Ron Wilson's done an amazing job. Brian Burke is loving every shootout win up in his box, knocking over his spitters and sending papers flying all over the place. 
You think these guys don't want to win every game?
Fans need to figure it out.

2 comments:

  1. I feel like arguing that the Isles are tanking, but I don't their management is competent enough to even pull that off

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Isles just don't have the talent. Losing Rick Dipietro for the year was a devastating blow for a team already in trouble to start the year. The future looks somewhat bright in Long Island, a new building and a healthy Dipietro are two musts, as well as continued production from guys like Bailey and Okposo.

    ReplyDelete