Friday, March 20, 2009

WBC - Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time

Thanks for that beauty post Goody. I feel so much better knowing how much more I accomplished today than you...
Then again, you did lounge around all day and eat nachos. I'd love to do that everyday, I really would. Except I would replace the nachos with chicken fingers.
I don't care what anyone says, I could eat those everyday and not get tired of them. The key would be to switch up on the sauces.
Oh ya...I was going to talk about the World Baseball Classic...
When I first heard about this a few years back, I thought, "Hey this is a good idea. More baseball." I like baseball. Actually I love baseball.
But then I watched some of it, and I honestly don't remember who won the first WBC tournament.
I've watched some this year, but the truth is, nothing much else is going on. The NBA turns me off these days, football is over, and you can only watch so much hockey (which is pretty much what I do for a living right now).
When someone mentions the WBC, two words pop into my dome: Who Cares?
It's just meaningless baseball when you think about it. If it meant anything, they wouldn't have it in the middle of spring training.
Hey, baseball is baseball. I'll watch. But don't expect me to really care who wins. This isn't to be confused witht the Olympics.
It's a way to make more money I suppose, and also a way for every big name to injure themselves getting after it like it's game 7 of the World Series instead of them being in spring training dipping and popping seeds on the bench while a guy who'll be bagging groceries in a couple weeks serves up gopher balls to guys with names like Chip Cannon and Hiram Bocachica.
Anyways, the WBC is basically a joke. How else do you explain the attendance numbers?
I hope this doesn't last, and if players keep getting hurt, eventually their clubs won't allow these guys to play.
And then what?
Then you're stuck watching guys you've never really heard of.
And isn't that what spring training is for?

No comments:

Post a Comment