Friday, March 27, 2009

Please hang up and try your call again.

“Sorry bro, I gotta go...I’ve got one more set on the bench, gonna pump out 285.” Have you ever heard this at the gym? What about something along the lines of “Did you see Paris Hilton’s My New BFF last night? I cannot believe Brittany won!*” If so, you may have fallen victim to the often inconspicuous cell phone gym talker, also known as Plugus Maximus by Darwin enthusiasts. This breed of gym goer may appear friendly upon first site, but be warned, they are more annoying than Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks in a late 80’s/early 90’s rom-com (timely reference, I know.)

I just don’t see the need to bring a cell phone into the gym with you? Case in point; how many pairs of gym shorts do you own that have pockets? I know that some people may say they carry it at all times in case they receive an important call or an emergency comes up, but this does not seem like a viable excuse for lugging around a blackberry with “circus” as your ringtone around the weight room. If you are waiting for that important of a call, don’t go to the gym, if there is an emergency you can easily be reached through a landline...you know, those phones that are attached to the wall (weird, huh?)

I have witnessed the Plugus Maximus on a few different occasions over the last month or so. One guy was actually on the bench press and stopped between sets to talk to someone on his cell. If the guy weren’t 6’5 and 250lbs I would’ve gave him a piece of my mind. Just the other day a girl answered a call whilst running on the treadmill, this of course meant she had to slow down and walk for about 5 minutes while she discussed her plans for that night (drinking Bacardi Limon and going to Shagwells).

Many of us have witnessed such events around the gym, it seems as though it has become commonplace at my gym. I wouldn’t quite call it an epidemic yet, but folks, please try to designate an hour or two out of your day to be “cell-phone free time” before it’s too late. You never know, someone may actually call you through that weird thing in your house with the cord that makes a ringing noise instead of a realtrax ringtone.

* Paris Hilton’s My New BFF is an awesome show, Brittany Flickinger was the winner in season one.

No comments:

Post a Comment